Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Friendship knows no boundaries


By Elizabeth Rueda
Silverton High School junior Talia Helman was totally worried about the foreign exchange student who would be living with her best friend, Jane Kitts.
Talia learned last summer Ahmed Alyazidi of Yemen would be living with the Kitts.
Her concern?
He is Muslim. She is Jewish.
“I didn’t think he would like me at first because of our religion,” Talia said. “I thought that since I was at Jane’s so much it would be awkward if he didn’t like me.”
Ahmed had the same concerns.
“When I was told Talia was Jewish,” he said, “I got a little worried that she wouldn’t like me because I'm Muslim.”
As Ahmed and Talia got to know each other, they both realized that they had qualities that they respect and admire in a friend.
“We have a lot in common. We are both short, extrovert, enjoy chemistry, can't eat pork, have moms who are pro in making Middle Eastern dishes and love chocolate,” Ahmed said.
Though they are few, disagreements between Ahmed and Talia are usually about time management.
“The only time Ahmed and I disagree is in the morning when I pick him up for school, {because] he is so slow when [it comes to] getting ready,” Talia said.
Now that the two have met, they have nothing but good things to say about each other.
“I have learned a lot from Ahmed. I no longer have any underlying stereotypes about Muslims because Ahmed has proved me wrong in every way and I am glad for it,” Talia explains.
Talia has learned people from opposite religions actually have a tremendous amount in common.
“I went to a class over winter break about Islam and Judaism and it was so interesting how much in common they both have,” Talia said. “I admire Ahmed greatly. He is amazing and friendly, and I really appreciate all that he has taught me.”
Ahmed has learned a great deal about Judaism since he met Talia. He also enjoys discussing the similarities between their faiths and went to a Hanukah dinner at Talia’s house where he brought her and her family gifts.
“Talia is very smart and always wants to learn new things,” Ahmed said.
Ahmed shared that his friends in Yemen where worried when he told them about Talia.
“When I knew her better and told them about her, they were very happy and they were really supportive,” Ahmed said. “My family was not worried at all. All of my family members supported me, and told me that it's good for me to be culturally literate and know more about people of different faiths.”
Ahmed and Talia recently spent their holidays together and have made plans to spend their Spring Break in California.
“My parents love Ahmed,” Talia said. “They think he's just the cutest. My mom wants Ahmed over more often so she can feed him. And my dad thinks he's a real gentleman.”
“I know for certain that if my mom met Talia, she would totally love her,” Ahmed added.
After meeting each other and becoming friends, both Talia and Ahmed are glad they other is a part of their life.
Instead of looking at the people’s difference and using it as a reason not to be friends, Ahmed and Talia look at what they have in common and all the reasons why they should be friends.
What their friendship is based on is respect.
Ahmed said what other people could learn from him and Talia’s friendship is “that all humans with their differences are like the sunlight. (People) have the same origin - the sun - but go in different directions in space. Even though they're different in their directions, they still have one goal, lightening the world.”