Friday, January 7, 2011

Jane Kitts: Sports Model


by Grace Hansen
Editor-in-Chief

Shows in today’s culture like America’s Next Top Model often make models appear shallow, risqué and anorexic. While these traits may be true of some models they certainly do not characterize Silverton High’s Jane Kitts.

Kitts, a junior, wanted to prove those stereotypes wrong and become a model ever since she was little.

“One of the first things my agent told me was that modeling wasn’t anything like what you see on reality TV,” Kitts said.

Kitts was approached at several of her track meets last year and asked about modeling, so she decided to go for it. After Kitts had an agent, she had to audition for different companies.

“I tried out for one sports modeling audition where they asked me to spike a volleyball…I didn’t get that audition,” Kitts said laughing.

So far, Kitts has modeled for Nike and Adidas.

“My family likes it that I do sports modeling because in sports modeling you are encouraged to look healthy and toned instead of anorexic,” Kitts said.

Kitts plays soccer for the Lady Foxes and exercises daily to stay fit.

“I also eat really healthy and stay away from stuff like corn syrup. I always have enjoyed eating healthy though, even before I started modeling,” Kitts added.

“The coolest thing about modeling is definitely seeing myself in a magazine,” Kitts said.

Generally models make $150 an hour and each shoot lasts from a couple hours to all day.

“Now that I have a job though, my mom makes me buy all my own clothes and I have to save up for a car,” Kitts said.

Kitts only works about once a month now but she hopes to continue modeling in the future and perhaps make it a career.

“I’m not going to base all my decisions off of modeling though, and I definitely want to go to college and work with kids after I graduate,” Kitts said.