Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Baker chosen as Future First Citizen



By Elizabeth Rueda
Reporter


The Silverton Chamber of Commerce recognized Silverton High School senior J’Nyssa Baker for her outstanding contributions to the local community. We recently interviewed Baker to hear her thoughts on how it feels to be honored as Silverton’s Future First Citizen.

What does it mean to be Silverton’s Future First Citizen?
“I guess it means that I’ve shown that I’m dedicated to this community and that people here recognized that.”

How does it feel to be selected as Silverton’s Future First Citizen?
“It’s definitely an honor and it’s really surprising. There were other really qualified students...Choosing one isn’t proving that one is better than the other. I prefer to think that I’m representing them all.”

What do you get for being Silverton’s Future First Citizen?
“I get to stay at the Oregon Gardens Resort for one night and I get honored at a banquet. I also get a $300 scholarship.”

What are your plans after high school?
My plans after high school are to attend college and figure out what I want to do with my life- University of Puget Sounds- I plan to travel hopefully....Everywhere."

What were your friends and families reaction to you being Future First Citizen?
"It’s mostly been “We’re so proud of you” and “Congratulations!”Also “That’s so cool” and “what do you get for it?”

What do you think the judges are looking for in a Future First Citizen?
“Community Service. They are looking to see if you have been involved in community service and what impact you’ve made. They also want to know what the impact of community service has had on you.”

What advice would you give to anyone who aspires to be Silverton’s next Future First Citizen?
“Just to get involved. It’s the biggest thing. Don’t be afraid to be involved. It’s not about us, it’s about helping the community and that’s something that is super important to realize.”