Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Season to Remember


By Heather Ferdinand
Editor

When I called my mom Friday night after the game the first thing she said was “I knew you wouldn’t have a voice.”

As a member of the varsity cheer team at Silverton High School, I have seen so many down to the wire games- Silverton 27/Corvallis 23, Silverton 19/Lebanon 18, Silverton 26/Eagle Point 21.

The feeling of standing in front of a large crowd and feeling the excitement as we call cheers on Friday night is one of those unbeatable feelings. The electricity from the stands is indescribable. It’s the home games like Corvallis, Lebanon, and Eagle Point that give you goose bumps throughout every play.

As the rain poured down two weeks ago at the Lebanon game the crowd and the boys kept their hearts in the game. The crowd even had cheer requests that would keep everyone engaged in the action.

The stands were exploding with stomping feet, claps and cheering that the masses of people were heard by neighboring establishments.

I myself have found that cheering for a quiet crowd isn’t any fun at all. But when the crowd exudes enthusiasm the emotion can be felt by everyone and the cheer team is truly thankful for that.

“When our crowd is loud and pumped, it gets our boys pumped and we want them to feel like they are playing for something more than just a high school football game,” senior cheer captain Kristina Vittone said.

“The difference from last year is that we have senior leadership. Our seniors work harder and longer than anyone in the league. That’s why we are where we are today,” senior football captain Lane Martin said.

The football had a 7-2 finish before playoffs.

“It’s my senior year so it means more to me than last year. I work harder and I know that all the seniors feel the same way. I don’t want it to end,” senior football captain Julian Canda said.

Ending one of these games leaves me sounding more like my grandpa than a cheerleader. Even with the sore throat the next day, it’s still worth it to know I cheered my heart out and letting the boys know that the cheer team, student body, and staff stands behind them 100 percent.